What is Autism?
The NHS website says that
“Autistic people may:
- find it hard to communicate and interact with other people
- find it hard to understand how other people think or feel
- find things like bright lights or loud noises overwhelming, stressful or uncomfortable
- get anxious or upset about unfamiliar situations and social events
- take longer to understand information
- do or think the same things over and over”
Autism is a neurodiversity – a different way of thinking and viewing the world.
There can be a lot of benefits to having Autism!
What are some of the benefits of having Autism?
Autism Awareness says that some of the positives of Autism include:
- Great memory – people with Autism often have excellent recall and long term memory
- Visual skills – people with Autism often tend to be able to pick up on small details others miss and learn well in a visual way
- Accepting of different – because of their neurodiversity, people with Autism can see the world in a different way and as such are understanding of the differences of others
- Creativity – people with Autism can see the world in novel ways and can be very creative